When I first wrote about this subject in my news-letter in the early nineties, I received more feedback on it than any other topic.
What constitutes the ideal business?
1. Enjoys low overhead.
2. Products can be sold throughout the world.
3. Is portable—can easily be moved and operated
anywhere in the world.
4. Requires little capital or major investment in
5. Enjoys high profit margins.
6. Has minimal labor requirements. Can be
operated with few or no employees.
7. Can be operated from home.
8. Is relatively free of government regulation and
9. Is highly respected in the business community.
10. Sells on a cash basis instead of offering
11. Competitors cannot duplicate. Creation of
product is legally protected.
12. Is fun for you while satisfying your intellectual
13. Helps make the world a better place.
Self-publishing best meets the above criteria
for the ideal business.
Tip: Publishing unique, helpful information can
be an unbeatable marketing tool. Further in this
issue I’ll show you how to use it successfully
for any business.
Let’s briefly look at what self-publishers and
conventional publishers typically do when they
decide to market a book or special report.
1. The book is written, taking up to two years
of effort. Little or no thought is given to the
2. The title is decided by some editor often over
lunch in less than 20 minutes.
3. The book is published. Absolutely nothing
happens. This has been called “the calm before
The book never sells out its first printing. (This
is the fate of more than 96% of all books published.
Is it any wonder!)
Here are the two most important actions I always
take. I recommend both as an indispensable part
of your action plan.
1. Write an ad to sell the book before a single word
Tip: The result is the eventual book will have the
best chance to do what it should–serve the readers’
self-interest. (Most books are incredibly dull and
boring and are an ego trip for the author.)
Plus, of course, you can use the ad to market
More than 90% of your time as a self-publisher must
be spent on marketing. For my book HOW TO
FORM YOUR OWN CORPORATION WITHOUT
A LAWYER FOR UNDER $75, I’ve written more
than 120,000 words of advertising copy. The book
has just 32,000 words in it. Sales are nearly
2,000,000 copies to date. The reason for all the
success is not the book itself, but all the marketing.
As Tom Watson, the late founder of IBM, said so
well, “Nothing happens until a sale is made.”
2. Create a great book title. A book title is actually
a headline for the book. It’s crucially important.
When I create a book title, I write a huge number of
potential titles. For my books HOW TO PUBLISH
A BOOK AND SELL A MILLION COPIES,
MAGIC WORDS THAT BRING YOU RICHES,
and HOW TO TURN WORDS INTO MONEY,
I wrote over 120 titles for each before choosing the
final one for each of these best sellers.
Best-selling authors like Harvey Mackay, author of
“Swim With The Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive”
and “Beware the Naked Man Who Offers You His
Shirt,” invest about $60,000 in fees for an expert to
create each title for their books. They know how
important it is.
Tip: Here is a business-building blockbuster.
Regardless of the business in which you are engaged,
whether you market online or offline, you can use
books and special reports as free bonuses to build
your sales. Here are some examples of businesses
and the type of material they could publish that could
dramatically boost their business.
Real Estate Developer:
“Seven Easy, Low-Cost Tips Which Will
Increase The Value of Your Property”
“How to Stop Leaking Faucets Yourself
in Less Than 60 Seconds”
“How to Build The Beautiful Home
of Your Dreams Below Budget”
“How to Prepare Ten Terrific Gourmet
Meals in Less Than 20 Minutes”
“Maximum Health Secrets
On a Minimum Budget”
Tip: Your information should be written in such a way
that it is (A) immediately useful to the reader, and
(B) you do not directly benefit in any way.
What you are seeking is a special feeling of
reciprocation on the part of the reader: “I got so
much out of this special report, when I think
about possibly availing myself of your type
of product or service, I will think about you first.”
The result in increased sales will delight and
“This article appears courtesy of THE SUCCESS
MARGIN, the Internet’s most valuable success and
marketing e-zine. For a complimentary
subscription, visit http://www.tednicholas.com/
Latest posts by Marko (see all)
- How To Make Crazy Commissions Without A Website Or Product - July 14, 2019
- SEO Tools to Turbocharge Your Website’s Rankings - March 8, 2019
- What Would You Like To Ask Ted Nicholas, The $7 Billion Dollar Man? - February 20, 2019